Presentation at Droidcon 2012 in Berlin
16 slides about short range radio links inside yor Android device for download:
The focus of this file is on Bluetooth Smart. Bluetooth Smart called WiBree years ago. Later on it was renamed to Bluetooth Low Energy also called Bluetooth 4.0. Four names for the same technology. Bluetooth Smart is not compatible to the Classic Bluetooth 2.0, 2.1 or 3.0. Nevertheless the Motorola Razr Droid is supporting both – the Classic Bluetooth and the Bluetooth Smart Standard. The iPhone 4S and the iPAD2 are supporting Bluetooth Smart as well. Last but not least several laptops are supporting Bluetooth Smart too.
The benefit of Bluetooth Smart is its ultra low power consumption. This is made by a clever power on/off of the transceivers. The Bluetooth Smart Master and the Bluetooth Smart Slave knows each other and power on and off in the same time. The data packages are small and big enough to forward the temperature of your body or your heart rate. With the proximity profile of Bluetooth Smart your key-fob will lock your laptop as soon yo leave your desktop. BTW, a keyboard for your PC will run 10 years on one two AA cells. All mentions examples push a short burst with length of up to 32 bits and go to sleep immediately. The presentation for download shows the differences in communication speed and the differences in the synchronisation between master and slave also. Bluetooth Smard is synchronising much faster. This feature is saving a lot of power too.
If you have interest in an own Buetooth Smart (Bluetooth Low Energy) solution, a face to face meeting or a local training of your development team, then just drop an email to harald.naumann (at) gsm-modem.de
Please follow the described steps carefully to save time by powering on your Android heart rate demo application on your Motorola Razr Droid.
Bluetooth Smart on Motorola Razr Droid with Wahoo Heart Rate Belt
1. Preparing your Motorola Razr Droid
2. Power on your Wahoo Heart Rate Belt
- The Wahoo Heart Rate Belt will be powered on automatically by wearing it at your body. It has no On/Off pin!
3. Go back to your Motorola Razr Droid
- Go to “Settings” -> “Wireless & Networks” -> “Bluetooth Settings”
- Press scan for devices
- Select the belt out of list and click it
- Start the nRF HRM (Heart Rate Monitor) Demo at you phone
4. Motorola Razr Droid with running HRM demo
Please be aware that this photo is a photo montage. As soon you move the Wahoo Heart Rate Belt away from your body the Bluetooth Smart transceiver will be powered off.
I assume that the upper mentioned steps are close the same for the Nordic nRF8001 evaluation kit. I got the nRF8001 development kit this weekend as well, but I can´t use it because my nRFgo motherboard I loaned to one of my customers for testing the ANT+ ICs of Nordic. The nRFgo motherboard is supporting several other Nordic ICs. Anyhow, sooner or later I will have a complete Bluetooth Smart evaluation kit at my office. I will keep you posted for sure.
There are several Bluetooth Smart, Bluetooth 2.1, Wifi and NFC projects in parallel guide-lined by myself. The next event for a face to face meeting is at Embedded World in Nuremberg. I will stay all three days at the booth of Rutronik. Some days later I will talk about Bluetooth Smart, Bluetooth 2.1, Wifi and NFC at Droidcon in Berlin.
Face to face meeting with me can be arranged at:
- Embedded World / Nürnberg 28.2 – 1.03 (3 days)
- Droidcon / Berlin 13. – 14.03 (2 days)
- Cebit / Hannover 6. – 10.03- (5 days)
- Big event about communication just 45 minutes far away from my home. I will use this event for customer meetings and learning about latest wireless technologies. The opening this year will be done by Mr. Eric Smith (Google) and Dr. Angela Merkel (Federal Chancellor/ Germany)
- LTE Seminar / Berlin 20.03 (1 day)
- Tests, Approvels in US, EU and other regions. Embedded LTE antennas and design in.
- Hannover Industry Fair 23. – 27. 04 (4 days)
- Big exhibition related to latest technologies close to my home.
- Rutronik Wireless Roadshow Düsseldorf 22.05- 24.05 (3 days) and Rutronik Wireless Roadshow Berlin 25.09 – 27.09 (3 days)
- Day 1: Postining on GNSS like GPS, but Glonass, Beidou, Galileo and QZSS as well. Non GNSS locating by WIF, Bluetooth Smart, active RFID up to GSM locating
- Day 2: Wireless links around your Smart Phone. NFC, Bluetooth, Bluetooth Smart, ANT+ and WIFI
- Day 3: Internet of Things: GSM, GPRS, HSPA, UMTS, WIFI, ZigBee, 6LoWPAN
If you have interest in an own Buetooth Smart (Bluetooth Low Energy) solution then just drop an email to harald.naumann (at) gsm-modem.de